Friday, April 18, 2008

Training Log: 24.3

commuterbike

Friday 4/18: Bike commute to work. 32 minutes x 2, tempo pace

It's my first ride to work of the season; it's so nice outside, it was impossible to pass up on this Friday morning! The picture above is pretty close to the model that I ride, but not quite exact. The make is the same (Raleigh), but the model I have is now about 7 years old and not in production any more.

Riding the commuter bike makes for a good workout because it is easily 10 pounds heavier than my road bike without any cargo. A much more upright seating position means more wind resistance, and I don't have clipless pedals on this bike. I also carry my backpack and a change of clothes in my wheel-mounted bag. The route is 9 miles one way. And it takes me anywhere from 30-35 minutes, depending on traffic and wind. I tend to mash the whole way to maximize the benefit.

It's a great way to get a "sneaky" workout...an hour of solid effort on the bike without eating up a huge chunk of family or work time.

No comments: