Sunday, January 20, 2008

Training log: 13.1

my shoe

Sunday, 1/20: 6 miles in 58:34 or 9:25/mi; FIRST week 1 long run

Brrrr. This was more like an episode of Survivorman than a training run. The plan was to go 8 miles, but that was not going to happen. Once I turned West into a wicked headwind, I had to cut it short. Hypothermia was a real risk. Here's why:

Temperature: 9f
Wind: 20-22 mph sustained out of the West, with gusts up to 40!
Wind Chill: -9
Frostbite time: about 30 minutes, max

My route would have had me running mile 4, 5, & 6 into that headwind for right about 30 minutes. And me without my wind briefs.

I don't feel too bad about today. I ran miles 1 & 2 without a watch (forgot to push start), but they felt about the same as mile 3, which was 8:00 flat. Mile 4 & 5, into that wind, were 10+ each, in part because I stopped and turned my back to warm up a few times and also because I had to, erm, look after myself in certain places...let's just say that it didn't make for a normal running stride. Mile 6 was 8:30. Still too quick, but I was not really worrying about pacing today since I just wanted it all to be overwith.

No looking back from today. The rest of the week will be on the treadmill if it's even close to this cold!

No comments: