Monday, May 13, 2013

2013 100 Miles of Nowhere Preview: Now with 100% more juggling!

So last year, I did this crazy thing where I rode around my circle driveway (almost) 3000 times...

It was all for not one, but two really great causes. First, it was part of Fat Cyclist's fundraiser that he does each year, which is a thumb in the eye of cancer. And second, I posted and tweeted about my exploits and raised some money for *my* campaign for the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure. My 2013 Campaign is underway. You can support it here!

This year, I'm doing it again. I'm registered for Fatty's 2013 event, which will raise money for Camp Kessem, a place where kids who've lost loved ones to cancer can meet others and do a little healing. I'm planning an equally absurd day in the saddle this year for 2013, and with similar hopes of a good day of raising awareness and raising funds.

Here's how it will go down. On Saturday June 1, I'll ride 100 simulated miles on a stationary trainer in front of my local bike shop: Denny's Central Park Bicycles. They've agreed to lend me a chunk of their front sidewalk so I can pedal my way to, well, nowhere. How did I come to this plan you ask? Well, I asked you! (or at least some of you...). I posted a poll. People voted. And the winner was a true 100 Miles of Nowhere. On one of these:
Here's an action shot:

I also took some suggestions. One of which was that I spend some of my time riding to nowhere while also juggling. This seems like a fine idea to me. And I am happy to consider others as well. Because you see the whole point is to make a spectacle of myself so that we might have more people paying attention to the ways that riding a bike can make you healthy! And we all know I'm not above making a spectacle of myself...

So feel free to make some additional suggestions in the comments section below about what I might do while riding my bike on Saturday June 1st. If you are in the area, drop by and ring a cowbell and support Denny's shop. I'll invite you all to support my Tour de Cure Campaign for 2013 too, of course, where we've already raised over $1000!


Thanks!

No comments: