Thursday, May 1, 2008

Training Log: 26.2

my bike

Thursday 5/1: Bike 57:51 minutes, 18.8 miles, AVS 19.6 mph (Hilly loop)

May has arrived! Today's ride was tougher than it seems from the stats. I was up against a steady wind out of the East/Southeast at about 12mph, but I had a tailwind on the way home, making the last 6 miles a nice reward. On this rectangular loop, the long sides run East-West for 7 miles and the short sides are 2 miles each. A strong East or West wind makes for a tough ride, not only because you are in the wind longer but also because the end bits are very exposed. The East side leg, in particular, runs along M-52, a busy highway with nothing but farm fields on either side the whole way.

I don't mean to complain, though, because I kept up a good pace. It's Spring in Michigan, after all. And I was doing a workout of sorts rather than just pounding a steady cadence. I warmed up for 5 minutes and then did 2 minutes hard, followed by 2 minutes RI x 10 or 11...I lost count after a while. Where there were hills, my RIs were cut a bit short. Good interval workout in any case.

No comments: