Wednesday, November 7, 2007

So I have decided to run a marathon

And to keep myself honest about the whole thing, I am also going to keep a blog-ish training journal thing. This will serve to record the experience, of course, but also to externalize my intentions to finish a marathon so that they will be all the more difficult to ignore.

What made me decide to do this? Well, I have always imagined that I would do it at some point. I ran cross-country and track in high-school and so it was sort of always something I thought I should and could do. I started biking and getting fit last year, and am now in better shape than I've been since those high school XC days. I set a fitness goal last year of doing a long bike ride event - the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure - which was a metric century. I need a new fitness goal. And the marathon it is.

I'm going to do a seperate post on my approach to training, but I wanted to mention while I am on the subject of motivation that I watched the PBS Nova special called "Marathon Challenge" and the approach to training in that show helped me decide to do this. The training calendar on the Nova site is one of the resources I'll be using to prepare.

What marathon will I run? The jury is out. Look for more on that in a later post too.

No comments: