Friday, November 9, 2007

Health stats at the beginning

Because there may be some concern about how this whole training for a marathon thing will affect my health/weight, I'll try to update some vital stats every so often as I go along.

My avg. weight this first week of training, measured each morning right after waking up, is 160 lbs (rounded to the nearest lb). That puts my BMI at 23, right in the "normal" range.

I'm due soon for another check of my cardiac risk factors (lipid panel, etc.) + HbA1c. When I get those numbers, I'll post them here too. Should be good.

My daily glucose levels have been very good, as expected. From what I can tell, my insulin response is better than normal as of about 8 months ago. Both the short and longer term data bear this out (e.g. last HbA1c was 4.8). What accounts for this is probably a combination of things: current weight eliminates insulin resistance problems, diet + regular exercise controls glucose levels.

FYI: I don't take any medications on a regular basis. The bike (and to a lesser degree, the running shoes) are my only theraputic interventions! This fact has *not* helped my argument that my health insurance should pay for cool bike gear, however...

No comments: